Monday, December 15, 2008

Tai Chi Tennis

So I have this idea about a different way to teach tennis. And I would like to put together some video and post it on YouTube. I'm struggling with the title, though...
>> Tennis Made Simple?
>> Tennis Best Practices?
>> The Great Wall of Chi?
>> The Simple Zen of Rock Star Tennis?
>> Avoiding tennis elbow!

When I watch the average players at our club, there are so many of them that hit the ball late. I think footwork and point of contact should be mastered before anything else. The very best players have the very best footwork. The best players step into the ball.

They float to the ball and given time, they plant their feet, stride into the ball and groove these beautiful shots. I can visualize Justine Henin's topspin backhand. She is this teeny thing and yet she generates so much power because she steps into the ball and takes it really early.

So my idea is a combination of tai chi steps and visualization and initially slow, simple, easy "best practices" to teach players to flow to the ball, step into the ball and take it early: create the wall. Be the wall. Get everything back.

Then once the consistency is there, add the racketspeed to generate the rockstar wicked topspin groundstrokes.

No comments: